How is Genetic Engineering achieved?
by SMEBOOK (admin) · October 7, 2020
The process of Genetic Engineering involves a five step process:
- Organism's DNA Extraction. In the very first step a sample is taken from the organism containing its DNA. Steps are then carried out to obtain DNA from the sample.
- Gene Cloning: From the extracted DNA, the specific gene of interest is then obtained and cloned to multiple copies.
- Gene Design: The Extracted gene is then restructured and modified with the help of enzymes.
- Transformation: The modified gene is now introduced in some of the cells of host organism using methods like gene gun, agrobacterium, microfibers, and electroporation.
- Backcross Breeding: The genetically transformed host is now crossed with a different line of organism usually elite in order to produce modified off springs which are then repeatedly back crossed to achieve the desired results.